About Me

My photo
Aspiring writer is the commonly used title for someone like me but I'd prefer story teller. Presently I'm working on my first manuscript. Glad you stopped in, follow my writing journey I'm sure it will have a little bit of everything.

Friday, January 6, 2012

New Writer

I guess I should explain how new I am to the writing world. Did not go to school for it or even worked in the industry. My background is Law, paralegal/legal assistant. When I started writing about 3 years ago it was all new to me. It started w/ a dream. One of the few times I've had a vivid dream & actually remembered it. I remember waking up & still feeling what the girl felt in my dream. The thing is I don't often remember a lot of my dreams but this one stuck w/ me. Later that day I spoke to my sister to tell her about it & she said I should write it down. So I did & that was the beginning of a journey that has transformed my life. I knew I liked to journal & keep a diary but I didn't realize I had a passion for writing. The story was pouring out of me effortlessly.  I wrote every moment of every day, staying up all hours of the night driving my family crazy of course. But I didn't stop, I wrote & wrote. Sometimes I'd stop & think I can't believe this is all coming out of my head. And then when my characters started developing personalities I was shocked. It amazes me that they have distinctive personalities, as I write I know Catalina would do this not this & Nick would react like this.  Then about 2 years later I thought hmmm if I want others to read this & maybe publish it, I need to learn about that world. And so began a new phase in my life of learning about authors & publishers. I joined a wonderful writers group (LSFW), best move I ever made because they've really shed light into this world.  I'm learning so much & yes I get (very) confused. Writers/authors have their own lingo. If you're a vet writer reading this maybe you don't see it but for us newbies I tell ya you do. I find myself writing down everything & anything. Then I google it(gracias google) 

All that brings us to now. I'm still writing and it's still the same book. I didn't start out with the intention of making it more than one book. I just wrote what I saw in my head. Then when I learned that there was something called a word count I was like, a what?  Turns out publishers have guidelines & one of them is how long a book should be (if you're interested in submitting to them). Yes I was shocked because once I learned to use my word count button I had about 5 books. All this new information I've learned has interrupted my writing because I worry now about my writing style, word count, social media, and so on.  I'm glad I waited 2 years before learning all this new information because I got the heart of the story out without outside worries.  Too much information sometimes can hamper you, I know it does me. But I'm loving it all, yes I'm scared & worried that people are going to hate the book but it's the risk I'm willing to take if I want others to fall in love w/ my story.


And so that's my post for today. If anyone's reading this leave me a comment or just keep coming back. 


Gigi ∞

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you know me personally please do not use my last name or personal information. Thank you.