About Me

My photo
Aspiring writer is the commonly used title for someone like me but I'd prefer story teller. Presently I'm working on my first manuscript. Glad you stopped in, follow my writing journey I'm sure it will have a little bit of everything.

Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Critique Group - Gulp!!

Where to start with today's post. Lots going on in my life right now. The most immediate nerve wracking thing is this coming weekend. I've mentioned that I belong to a writer's group. This group also has a critique group.  I'm fortunate to be a part of a group with many published authors, people who have been writing for years & who have first-hand knowledge of this nutty writing world.

That, of course, is what scares the bejesus out of me. I plan to have my book critiqued this Saturday it would be my first time ever doing it. I'm skeered & thrilled. Yesterday I sent an email giving them a heads up that I'm taking part in the critique. Here's a honest moment for ya:  Sending that email was one of the hardest things I've done with my writing. (1) it commits me to the critiquing on Saturday. (2) it confirms that I am ready to take my book to the next level.  I wrote & re-wrote that email, each time second guessing myself. I finally left the email sitting in my box & went on to do other things, purposely.  Then someone I care for dearly was telling me about school, telling me how this week her class had a writing assignment & each student had to proof read each other's work. She told me how scared she was because these were peers & friends. She showed me her draft & it had so many corrections it looked like she doodled on it. I told her I was afraid of the same thing & we both laughed. She helped me more than she'll ever know.  It was in the middle of that conversation with her that I hit send on my email.  She inspired me. That little moment I had with J pushed me to take that next step. I am grateful for that & I will one day tell her how much it meant to me.

So now here I am, trying to get my stuff together for Saturday w/ my writers/critique group & Sunday with my little Beta group.

I've gone back to the beginning of the book to do a full read-through (w/ my sister's help) & what do you think we found? Lot's of stuff that I didn't need. Shocking right?? Of course not, i'm sure when I read it again, I'll find stuff that hid from me the previous 50 times.

That's it for now. Gracias for reading & again I mention that I like hearing from you.  It's always nice to know if someone out there in this universe is listening reading. :)

Gigi ∞

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you know me personally please do not use my last name or personal information. Thank you.