About Me

My photo
Aspiring writer is the commonly used title for someone like me but I'd prefer story teller. Presently I'm working on my first manuscript. Glad you stopped in, follow my writing journey I'm sure it will have a little bit of everything.

Thursday, January 19, 2012

Holy Format Batman!

I seriously thank the writing Gods for letting me 'just write' all those years.

It's now Thursday & all I've done this past week is read, learn, re-read & format. I sure earned that 'your format sucks' comment from that critique. It's taken me a few days to indent, yes indent can you believe it. I'm sure there's an easier way to indent paragraph's but I'm not Word savvy, so I'm stuck w/ indenting endlessly.  But that's just the tip of the iceberg.  Turns out that I managed to somehow write a book that includes dialogue that complicates things. (Of course I did!) I have two foreign languages in my manuscript, Spanish & Calo. I write in Spanish fairly well so that should make this new found knowledge easy to maneuver, but I don't speak a word of Calo cause I'm not really a Gypsy.

Gasp! You're not a Gypsy & yet you're writing about one. Yeah hate to break it to you but I'm not.  I'm sure JK Rowling wasn't a wizard either, so I think I can be forgiven for not being Gypsy.

Anyway, turns out that there are specific ways to include/write foreign languages into a manuscript. I'm not a complete idiot, I figured there was & would have to address it at some point but it's trickier than I thought. But it's fine, I'll get through it & clean it up to make it work. I can't get rid of my foreign languages, it would strip away from the heart of my story. They're staying. (That is until an agent/publisher tells me it's gotta go but those are worries to be addressed later.)

Then there's internal dialogue (what the character thinks) turns out that there's also a specific way to write that. It has to be done in a way that it doesn't become distracting or take away from the other writing. That might be trickier to get a handle of but I'm sucking it up & getting through it.

So (sorry C) I've managed to write a book that has some funky rules I need to follow. Of course, if I had a writing background I'd know a lot of this already BUT again I have to say I'm glad I didn't know it because it would've really hampered my writing. I give credit to those that can edit as they write. I don't know if I could ever do that because I'd be second-guessing every word & never get my story out.

Thank goodness for my side-kick, we'll call her C (my sister). She's right there battling it out with me. I send her endless links to read that will help my writing. She has the capability of retaining better than I when it comes to the technical stuff. Phew!

Here's a link to a site that I think I'll be referring to a lot to help with my formatting & other details. http://www.annemini.com/?p=4241

Thanks for stopping in. Would love to hear from you.

Gigi 

2 comments:

If you know me personally please do not use my last name or personal information. Thank you.